The Ventura County Library System (VCLS) is a County agency that consists of 12 library branches, a Mobile Library, an administration office facility, and a Virtual Library or e-Library that can be accessed 24/7 online. The VCLS provides services to all County residents, serving both the unincorporated area and cities (or areas within cities), which are neither served by a city library nor within the boundaries of an independent library district. The VCLS offers free access to books, audiobooks, magazines, comic books, music, and movies for checkout and in streaming or electronic format. The VCLS also has the Mobile Library, which the first mobile service in California dating back to 1924. This is a key service for underserved areas where many people have little or no library service.
To provide individuals free access to library collections, resources, and services to help them be successful in their educational and work goals, and to serve as a social and cultural hub where community members can engage and collaborate to improve their overall quality of life.
The County shall consider the following factors when selecting new library locations:
- Ease of access from major vehicular and pedestrian traffic routes;
- Feasibility for ensuring adequate, well-lit, and secure automobile and bicycle parking;
- Walking distance to residential neighborhoods, senior housing, and schools;
- Proximity to businesses and community-serving organizations; and
- Unique community demographics that may impact access to or use of the facility and services.